The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control’s Division of Fish & Wildlife recently expanded and designated special youth hunting days on public and private lands statewide.

Youth hunters ages 10-15 can enjoy youth waterfowl hunting days Oct. 20 and Feb. 9, 2019. Expanded deer hunting opportunities are provided for youth hunters by adding a Sunday to the traditional Saturday youth deer hunting day for a weekend of youth deer hunting days Nov. 3-4. The special deer hunting days are also open to adult non-ambulatory disabled hunters, but the youth waterfowl hunting days are open only to youth ages 10-15.

Youth hunters must be accompanied by an adult companion ages 21 or older who possesses a valid Delaware hunting license or a license exempt number. Only the youth hunter may possess a firearm when participating in these hunting days, and they must be of sufficient physical size and strength to safely handle a firearm. Youth hunters age 13-15 must purchase a Delaware junior hunting license, have completed a hunter education course and possess their hunter education card. Adult companions must also possess a Delaware waterfowl stamp unless exempted and a federal migratory bird stamp for youth waterfowl hunting days. Waterfowl hunters younger than 16 are not required to purchase a Delaware waterfowl stamp or a federal migratory bird stamp. Youth hunters age 10-12 must possess a LEN and may take a hunter education course.

If participating in youth hunting days on state wildlife areas where deer stands and waterfowl blinds are assigned through a daily lottery, youth hunters and accompanying adults do not need to purchase a deer stand/waterfowl blind permit. A deer stand permit or waterfowl blind permit is required to hunt these areas during all other deer and waterfowl seasons. The same waiver of the deer stand/waterfowl blind permit also applies for non-ambulatory disabled hunters during the special deer hunting days.

More information on hunting license and Delaware waterfowl stamp requirements is available at Waterfowl and other migratory game bird, except crow, hunters will need a federal Harvest Information Program number. To register for a HIP number or LEN number, visit or call 855-335-4868. For hunters age 16 and older, a federal migratory bird stamp is also required to hunt waterfowl.

Delaware hunting licenses, Delaware waterfowl stamps, and Conservation Access Passes can be purchased online; at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office, 89 Kings Highway, Dover; or from hunting license agents statewide. Federal migratory bird stamps are available at U.S. Post Offices, Bombay Hook and Prime Hook national wildlife refuges and at

For more, visit