In the first semifinal game of the day, No. 3 Caravel came from behind late to defeat No. 10 Dover 5-3 in a thriller at Frawley Stadium.

A couple of early one-run innings put the Bucs up 2-0 heading into the sixth inning when both offenses caught fire. First, the Senators put together a rally, started by an error and aided by two walks, capped off by a 2-RBI single from Dakota Graham.

After an error to start the inning, Caravel starter Jason Bilous walked the bases loaded when Graham singled home two runs to tie the game at 2-2. The next hitter, Jared Rowley bunted home Kendall Small to give the Senators a two-run lead; however, Dover was unable to capitalize further with the bases juiced.

In the bottom half of the inning, Caravel scored three runs of their own to take back the lead at 5-3.

Similar to Dover’s big inning, the Bucs’ were aided by an error when two outfielders collided reaching out for a fly ball. Brandon Fraley singled home the tying run later in the inning before a passed ball and another Dover error led to two more runs.


Defending champs survive extra-inning scare; defeat A.I. 3-2 in 10

In the second semifinal match up, there was an equally exciting ending. Two-time defending state champions No. 1 St. Mark’s defeated No. 5 A.I. duPont 3-2 in 10 innings.

Peter Berardi hit the game-winning bases-loaded single to win it for the Spartans in the bottom half of the 10th inning.

The Spartans took the early lead Saturday, squeezing one run across the plate in the first inning when starting pitcher Bobby Phillips tripled a later scored off a Jay Perry RBI single. 

The Tigers took the lead in the third, scoring two runs to take a 2-1 lead. The inning was capped off by an RBI double from Andrew Tunell that scored two runs.

The Spartans tied things up in the fifth, thanks to a Matt Frost single that scored courtesy runner Connor Eastep.

After both teams stranded runners in multiple extra sessions, Berardi got his opportunity with the bases loaded and two outs and lined a single down the third base line to send St. Mark’s to the state championship game.