A German Shepherd was also injured in the two-car collision

The Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit (CRU) is currently investigating a double fatal crash that occurred Sunday afternoon on Marsh Road.

The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. today as John A. Hawrylak, 68 of Wilmington, was operating a 2003 Chevrolet Impala traveling northbound on Marsh Road approaching the area of Millers Road. A 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass, operated by Stephen Rementer, 53 of Garnet Valley, Pa., which was fleeing from a previous property damage collision on Naamans Road, was traveling southbound on Marsh Road approaching the same area. Rementer was driving at a high rate of speed and crossed the center line of Marsh Road as he entered a right curve in the roadway. The Oldsmobile initially traveled across the northbound lane and struck a cement wall and guardrail before traveling back into the northbound lane directly in the path of the Impala. Hawrylak applied his brakes and skidded briefly, but the vehicles collided head-on in the northbound lane. Both vehicles rebounded and rotated in a clockwise manner before coming to rest partially off the roadway just south of Millers Road.

Both operators, who were not properly restrained, were transported to Christiana Medical Center where they were pronounced dead. A German Shepherd named "Isabel" was also in Rementer's vehicle and was transported by troopers to Veterinary Specialty Center of Delaware on Churchmans Road, New Castle, where she is currently under their care for undetermined injuries.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this collision and a toxicology report on Rementer is pending. Marsh Road between Naamans Road and Harvey Road was closed for approximately three hours as the crash was investigated and cleared.

The property damage crash prior to the fatal collision occurred approximately one minute before when Rementer in the Oldsmobile struck the right rear of a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu, operated by Beverly S. McCaskill, 66 of Yeadon, Pa., who was stopped for a traffic light in the right lane of Naamans Road at Marsh Road. Rementer exited his vehicle after the crash and began arguing with McCaskill as she phoned 911. He then returned to his car and fled southbound on Marsh Road and collided with the Impala. McCaskill was uninjured in the crash.