Dahmere White, 17 of Wilmington, arrested on multiple charges

A handgun was found in a student's backpack at Dickinson High School this afternoon, and the student fled the school.

The student, identified as 17-year-old Dahmeer White, of Wilmington, is in custody and facing multiple charges.

At 1:53 p.m., a Delaware State Trooper assigned as the student resource officer at the school on Milltown Road received information that a student may have a handgun in his backpack, according to State Police. Sgt. Paul Shavack.

The officer went to White's classroom and took the student's backpack to search it; White then ran out of the school through the front door, leaving the backpack behind.

The officer found a handgun in the backpack, a fully loaded Kel-Tec 9mm Luger semiautomatic with the serial number removed.

State and county police searched for White, who was found in the Limestone Acres neighborhood off of Limestone Road and was taken into custody by police.

White did not take out the gun to threaten anyone at the school, Shavack said.

Because of his felony status, White is prohibited from possessing a firearm.

White is charged with: Possession of a Firearm by a Person Prohibited with a Prior Felony, Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, Possession of Ammunition by a Person Prohibited with a Prior Felony, Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon a Firearm, Possession of a Weapon with a Removed, Obliterated, or Altered Serial Number, Possession of a Weapon in a Safe School Zone, and Resisting Arrest

Brian Moore, supervisor of public safety for the Red Clay Consolidated School District, said the district responded the way its protocols call for and that the incident is now a matter for the police.

Moore said that someone provided school administration with a tip that White had a gun, at which time the onsite state police resource officer approached the student.

Moore said that while the district does not utilize metal detectors as a security measure, a grant from 2008 allowed all the schools to be locked from the inside, requiring any visitors to contact the office via intercom.

The district also utilizes five uniformed Delaware State Police resource officers, deployed to all secondary schools.

Moore, who has been with the district for the past decade, said this was the first incident of this nature that he could recall, although there have been rumors and similar unsubstantiated claims prior to Tuesday.

Moorse said that, for a worst case scenario, the incident was handled as best it could.

"On our end, the school did everything they were supposed to do," Moore said. "They followed our plan perfectly … I think they did an excellent job."

The school was temporarily on lockdown during the day; no injuries or other incidents were reported.