Tip of the Week
This year, the homemakers at Wayfair.com are showing you how to ring in 2014 with five unforgettable New Year’s Eve party themes, whether you’re planning a big bash or an intimate get-together.
1. Dessert buffet: Creating a dessert buffet for New Year’s Eve is a family-friendly way to celebrate, so invite your friends who are parents, and the little ones, too! Display desserts at different heights for a more appealing spread. Cake stands and pedestal dishes are ideal, but get creative with large upside-down bowls or even wide candle holders.
2. Countdown celebration: For a countdown-themed party, numbers and letters are the way to go. Stickers or decals are cheap and easy to find at craft stores. Putting numbers on your glasses will help your guests remember whose is whose. For a fun New Year’s activity, pop each balloon during the “10, 9, 8 …” countdown to greet 2014 with a bang.
3. Marvelous masquerade: Keep with the gold and black color scheme by using paint, glitter, ribbon and sequins to color festive party poppers and noise makers. As midnight approaches, unleash several clear balloons filled with confetti or glitter. If you aren’t afraid of a little mess, let your guests pop the balloons to ring in the New Year.
4. Romantic dinner for two: To create a romantic atmosphere, keep your table setting close and intimate instead of using up the entire table. Floating candles in a simple bowl create an effortless centerpiece that isn’t overdone or gaudy.
5. A "Downton Abbey" affair: To celebrate the classic style of “Downton Abbey,” use your most exquisite flatware and intricate cut crystal. Stately candelabras and flower-filled silver bowls give the table an upscale, formal allure.