Police are warning New Castle County residents about a rash of delivery packages being stolen from homes as online gift orders begin arriving.
Over the past week, packages have been stolen from front porches in at least two Newark neighborhoods and one community in Wilmington, according to New Castle County police spokesman Cpl. John Weglarz.
"This type of criminal activity is common during the holidays," he said. "Most thieves are looking for electronics and high-end gifts that they can profit from."
He recommended county residents take proper precautions when having packages delivered to their homes, including:
- If you are home when packages arrive, retrieve them immediately.
- If you will not be home, consider having the delivery carrier hold the package at their local facility until you can pick it up.
- If you must have the delivery shipped to your home and cannot be there, consider having a trusted neighbor retrieve the package
- Send the package to your work or the home of a trusted friend or relative who you know will be home when it arrives
- Request that your package be marked “signature required” to require that the delivery person stand by until you’re available to retrieve the package.
- Use a company that provides a tracking service and check online to see when your package is scheduled to arrive.