Queens College junior Jennifer Fridman won a pair of matches as No. 36 Queens (17-2) advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II East Regional Championship with a 5-0 victory over Goldey-Beacom College (14-6) on Saturday afternoon.
The Knights, in their 13th consecutive NCAA appearance, advanced to play Concordia on Sunday. Meanwhile, the Lightning'?s season came to an end after setting a school record with 14 wins.
After teaming with Queens College freshman Andrea Samson (La Salle H.S./Key Biscayne, Fla.) to earn an 8-6 victory at number one doubles, Fridman (Paul D. Schreiber H.S./Port Washington, N.Y.) defeated sophomore Filipa Correia at number four singles by a 6-0, 6-0 score.
Meanwhile, junior Anna Rodionova (Orenburg, Russia) claimed a 6-1, 6-1 victory at number five singles after pairing with sophomore Francesca Fanchin (LaGuardia H.S./New York, N.Y.) for an 8-1 decision at number three doubles.
Senior Erika Goldsmith (Edison H.S./Edison, N.J.) and sophomore Weronika Kurka (Szczecin, Poland) also earned a 9-7 victory at number two doubles over sophomore Stephanie Puentes Robinson (Bogota, Colombia) and junior Gabriela Chaves (Joao Pessoa ? PB, Brazil).
The loss ended the college careers of Lightning seniors Melanie Bonomo (Maracay, Venezuela), Vanessa Leon (Caracas, Venezuela) and Blanca Sancho (Zaragoza, Spain).
#36 Queens College 5, Goldey-Beacom 0
Apr 27, 2013 at Queens, N.Y. (Tennis Courts)
1. Goldsmith, Erika (QUEW) vs. S. Puentes Robinson (GBC) 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
2. Fanchin, Francesca (QUEW) vs. R. Cabanillas Moreno (GBC) 4-3, unfinished
3. Samson, Andrea (QUEW) vs. Blanca Sancho (GBC) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
4. Fridman, Jennifer (QUEW) def. Filipa Correia (GBC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Rodionova, Anna (QUEW) def. Vanessa Leon (GBC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Celi, Daniela (QUEW) vs. Melanie Bonomo (GBC) 6-2, unfinished
1. Fridman, Jennifer/Samson, Andrea (QUEW) def. Anastasia Melnikova/Filipa Correia (GBC) 8-6
2. Goldsmith, Erika/Kurka, Weronika (QUEW) def. S. Puentes Robinson/Gabriela Chaves (GBC) 9-7
3. Rodionova, Anna/Fanchin, Francesca (QUEW) def. Vanessa Leon/R. Cabanillas Moreno (GBC) 8-1