An unfounded rumor across the state has prompted the Appoquinimink School District to increase its administrator presence at all schools Friday.
The district has contacted local law enforcement officials, who have agreed to increase patrol around the schools Friday, officials said.
A message was sent out to parents Thursday night that districts across the state have received an unfounded rumor that "something" would happen Friday.
"We investigated it and can't find a credible threat," said Appoquinimink spokeswoman Lilian Miles. "We contacted the police for an increased presence and our administrators are out at the schools today."
On the heels of the tragedy that occurred last week in Newtown, Conn., the school is taking the rumors seriously, she said.
The message sent to parents at around 5 p.m. Thursday came from Superintendent Matt Burrows who said that state and local law enforcement agencies have agreed to have an increased presence Friday.
"Delaware law enforcement officials have painstakingly investigated these rumors," Burrows said in his message, which can also be found on the schools' websites. "None of the investigations to date have led to the discovery of any actual plan or attempt to initiate a school-based incident."
Several other districts in Delaware have sent similar messages out to parents, including Sussex Technical High School and the Red Clay Consolidated School District.
"We encourage people to contact their principals and stop into the school sand talk with them so we can show them we have a safety plan in place," Miles said.
She also said that parents are welcome to join the school safety teams, which every school in the district has.
Even though the threat is not credible, the district is still taking it seriously, Miles said. No solid base to the threat has been found, she said.